Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook for March 3


Outside my window
It is still grey, but not raining--at least, not at this minute. The light is getting that brighter, sharper quality that comes with spring.

I am thinking
About trying to keep plans for Aidan on track for the rest of the spring, which is a struggle because my mind keeps getting sucked into the legislative vortex.

I am thankful for
The fact that Kevin and Aidan are both better. I think.

From the kitchen
I made the Nigellan Flatbreads from Nigella Lawson's How To Be A Domestic Goddess cookbook over the weekend, and they are so good for sandwiches. Plus, it's fun to make yeast bread--I love kneading it and feeling it go from sticky and lumpy to smooth and elastic and springy.

I am wearing
My new Cole Haan heels, which are 3 inches high but still the most comfortable things I've worn on my feet all session. Plus, they look terrific. I waited about two years to buy them (meanwhile spending at least their cost on other pairs of shoes), but now that I have them, they are wonderful. I can hike back and forth to, and around, the Capitol all day.

I am creating
The Elizabeth Zimmerman hat, still. I'm through the color pattern, and working on the swirling decreases up to the crown. I discovered last night that when it gets small enough, I'm going to have to go from circular needles to three double pointed needles--this sounds entirely intimidating. Also, note to self--do not, under any circumstances, ever use yucky acrylic yarn again. It creates a miserable experience, and obliviates at least half the reason I like to knit--the feel of the project in my hands.

I am going
Back to the Capitol--where else?

I am reading
Babbitt. George is starting to rebel against his empty life.

I am hoping
To get a chance to go to the State Library for a while this afternoon, to sit and read. But first I have to get all my writing done.

I am hearing
The dull roar produced by 90 legislators in floor session and attendant noise of lobbyists outside the chambers. It is an entirely distinctive sound, and I can always tell at once that they're on the floor when I enter the building and hear it.

Around the house
I'm just trying to keep my head above water.

One of my favorite things
This week, reading. I am itching to read Fire At Eden's Gate for some reason.

A few plans for the rest of the week
If I can just get a real dinner on the table a few times, with us sitting down and eating it together, it'll be a good week.

For other Simple Woman posts, go here.

No comments: