Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook
For February 4, 2009

Outside My Window
Wow--it is 60 degrees and sunny. Bulbs are popping up all over, and the squirrels are going crazy. I'm becoming something of a squirrel expert, b/c they are all over creation around the Capitol grounds. Today, I saw a fat one grab a big pinecone and go running up the side of a tree with it. I mean, really, what can a squirrel do with a pinecone, for pete's sake?

I Am Thankful For
The fact that I have time to sit in the back of this hearing room and don't have to testify on this bill (patient orders for life sustaining treatment). Also, that I have a car that goes, a job that pays, a happy family, a babysitter that is dependable and stands on Aidan's neck every day till his homework is done, and a dog who is feeling better.

From The Kitchen
I've been cooking and freezing on the weekends lately, b/c freezer food is such a life saver during the week when I get home at 6:30 with no brains left in my head.

I Am Wearing
Black pants, flats, and a sweater from Banana R. It was so nice today that I thought about running out the door in a skirt without nylons, but stopped when I realized how white my legs are. Note to self: must go to tanning bed.

I Am Creating
The red sweater, still and again. I'm thinking about taking a break and trying out Elizabeth Zimmerman's two-color hat, but I only have one set of circular needles, and the red sweater is on them. Guess I'd better get to the YLS (dang).

I Am Going
Home, after this hearing, which will probably go till at least 5:30.

I Am Reading
I just finished The Prince Of The Marshes, which was really compelling. Then, last night, I read The Sweet Dove Died, by Barbara Pymm. It wasn't quite the thing, but better than a kick in the butt.

Around the House
Last weekend, I cleaned the snot out of the upstairs couch. I washed all the cushion covers, and (gasp) rented a rug doctor and cleaned all the upholstery on it. It was much harder than I'd planned, but after it was dry, it looked great. Approximately 1/2 hour later, the shrimp dropped mac-and-cheese on it, and the dog hopped up and went to sleep next to Kevin. Sigh . . ..

I also changed the rug in there, which looks good. I'm realizing that it's one thing to change and clean a room up, but it's entirely another thing to keep it looking like that as I advance through the house to the next room. Basically, I did the entryway two weekends ago, and it looked great, but by the time I started I started on the couch seven days later, the entry needed a major hosing down again.

One Of My Favorite Things
Taking Aidan to the Capitol in the mornings before he goes to school. He is fascinated with the dynamics of lobby behavior, as follows:
A: Mom, let's try to sit in the back row again today.
B: OK, but we have to hurry to get there, because those are the most popular seats.
A: Because people can kick their feet and not get in trouble?
B: Right. And also get up and walk around, and talk to people, and stuff like that.
A: What about the front row? Is it a big privilege to sit there, too?
B: Would you want to sit up there?
A: No, because all the legislators would see me kicking my feet and laughing.
B: Exactly.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week
Try to figure out how the Vermont healthcare transaction tax works, and how we could set up something similar in Oregon. After that, try to figure out how to get self-insured members to like it. Can't imagine this actually happening.

No comments: